Monday, August 2, 2010

50's with a twist








I like making these for some reason. Maybe it's because I love the fit and I can make them in cotton, which is washable. Maybe it's because they just look so classy in their 50's way. I will admit that when I wear mine with my sandle wedges, I suddenly go into cleaning mode, complete with the happy 50's music playing in the back of my head. What's more, I tend to enjoy it. Scary, no? But I digress.


I just like making these dresses. I made 4 of them before I posted the custom listing on etsy. And then someone wanted me to make one of these, with just a few modifications: she wanted it shorter, and with a bandeau style front. Shorter is very easy, of course, and it turned out that the bandeau front was fairly simple as well, once I made a mock-up. Essentially, I made the cups as usual, to provide a good backing to the bandeau. The bandeau was taken from a Simplicity pattern that had the top I was looking for. I had to fiddle with it a little bit to get the narrow hem (at the keyhole) in the right spot, and I cut each side of the bandeau about 1.5 inches longer than the pattern pieces so I would have enough fabric to work with. This is what I ended up with:







I like the skirt in the last photo here, because the light makes it look luminescent without being see-through. It's been packed up and put into the mail, now. I hope she likes it.


No comments:

Post a Comment